Sunday, June 14, 2015

Lausanne

I have arrived in Lausanne!

I flew Gotland-Stockholm-Zurich-Geneva and then took a train to Laussane and finally a bus to the place I'm staying at. I had a little bit of a hard time getting in, but finally figured it out and here I am! I practices my French with the bus driver and was able to verify that I was on the right bus and that I had the correct ticket! :D

The Swiss airline I took from Zurich to Geneva was great. Very friendly and you start the flight with a water bottle and a chocolate. And its only like a 45min flight.

My new bedroom is tiiiiny, but cozy and the apartment is nice. I had a little bit of a hard time getting my stuff to fit into the room but its all been worked out now. I am staying in the middle of the city. Also Gilbert (host) left a note and some great Swiss chocolate for me when I got in. He got home about an hour after I had gotten in and then we talked for a while.

My tiny bedroom.

Some chocolate at my new place.

Water and chocolate by Swiss airline.
So once in Lausanne I got to see my friend Joel and Laura! We walked around the city on Saturday and then went to EPFL. They had already been here for a week so they showed me around. Also I got some groceries and put my luggage around.

Sunday was a lot of fun! We went to Geneva to visit CERN. There, we met with Andres Delannoy, a friend of mine from UPRM. We were together during undergrad in Mechanical Engineering and then he went to do his PhD in physics. I learned the other day through FB, of course, that he was in CERN! So I contacted him and we met after many years of seeing each other in Geneva, Switzerland! Andres gave us an awesome personalized tour of CERN with a lot of information on particle physics in a way we would understand. It was a great day at CERN and we certainley learned a lot about what happens there. The facility is currently operating so going underground was not an option, but we got to see a lot of cool things during the visit, and I am amazed on the amount of work and engineering required to build such an amazing facility.

Some solar panels with a nice view of the lake.

The most expensive starbucks coffee I have drank. 1 frank ~ $1.1

A picture with Andres after many many years!

Joel and me in an old piece of equipment at CERN.

An awesome screen in the control room.

A pretty picture in Geneva of Joel and his wife Laura.

Some ducks really close to people.

A particle accelerator!




A cool video showing how a particle accelerator works:



The best personalized tour guide ever showing us one of the control rooms!




1 comment: